Tuesday, April 16

getting healthy.

Confession time, you guys.
I'm abandoning my 30 by 30 list.
As much as I didn't want to admit it, I've finally come to terms with the fact that the whole project was just not for me, at least at this point in time.
There are definitely things on that list that I would still like to (and plan to) accomplish, and who knows? 
Maybe one day I'll make another list.
I like lists.
Unfortunately, I think my reason for doing the 30 by 30 list to begin with, wasn't so much for myself, but because it's become the "thing you do" when you turn 29.
My heart just hasn't been in it.

Speaking of my heart, I've decided that instead of focusing on a list of the things that I want to do before a certain age, I should focus on me and my health.
Like that segue? ;)
Thirty can be a kind of daunting age,
not because it's "old", but because you've finally started to realize that there's no turning back the clock.
Going into the big 3-0 I will have been married for nearly 10 years and I have two gorgeous children.
They're the other thing that makes me realize that time continues to pass (sometimes too quickly).
Audrey is already 7 and Lawson will be 2 next month.
They keep aging, which means that I, no matter how much I don't want to admit it, I keep aging as well.
And while I feel that you can make great, healthy changes at ANY age, 
the fact of the matter is that the older you get, the harder it is.

 So, I have decided to dedicate the next 6 months (my birthday is in October), and beyond, to becoming more healthy.
But I have also decided that being healthy is something that I want to maintain long term.
So, there will be no "fad" diets, or starving myself, because, well, those just aren't healthy anyway.
And while weight loss is definitely a benefit of being healthy, it is not my only goal in this.
I will be "baby-stepping" my way toward good, long lasting health.
And hopefully I will be impacting the health of my family as well.

A few weeks back I watched a documentary on Netflix called Hungry for Change.
Something that was said on there has been milling about in my head ever since.
The gist of the statement was that adding in small, healthy habits to your normal routine is, in the end, more sustainable and healthier for you.
People who make drastic changes and go "all in" 100% tend to get burned out and eventually go back to their old way of doing things, but by making small, simple additions, you make it easier on yourself.
There's no deprivation and it seems much simpler.
Then, those small changes become habits that eventually affect other areas of your life and lead to other small changes and so on and so forth.
Sounds good to me!

My plan is to keep updating here about my progress, how I'm feeling, the changes I see, etc.
Every small change I make will be documented here and hopefully so will, in time, big results!

Here's to health and happiness!!

peace, love, and all things sparkly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak easy. speak loud.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com