Friday, August 26

book review - room



This book has been on my 'to-read' list for awhile. Although, I have been kind of apprehensive to read it. A co-worker of the hubs let me borrow it, and let me tell you I was captivated from page one.

Room is the story of Jack and his mother, as told by Jack, who is 5 years old.
Jack's "Ma" (who's real name is never mentioned) was kidnapped when she was 19 years old and has been held captive in a room for the past 7 years. She has been and is continued to be repeatedly raped by her captor, whom Jack calls Old Nick. Jack is a result of these rapes.

There are definitely times when this book is hard to stomach. Everything is done from his point of view and when he is scared or confused you can just imagine what he's going through. As the mother of a 5 year old, this book straight out broke my heart at times. All Jack has ever known is this room. It houses the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc. He has never once been outside it's walls. But his mother makes the best possible life that she can for him inside those four walls.

Room chronicles some time inside the room, as well as Jack and his mother's escape and their life immediately after. During the escape and after, there are times when I felt like screaming at his mother, but I had to remind myself that 7 years in confinement would do a lot to a person's psyche.

There might be a few times that you have to reread sentences to really understand what Jack is saying (unless you're used to be around little kids and their broken English). Not only is he only 5, but his lack of knowledge of "the Outside", as he calls it, can make for some confusing moments on the reader's part.

I have to say this book is unique. Not only for the plot line, but also for the way it is written. I found that I had a hard time putting it down.
I give it 4 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

speak easy. speak loud.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com