Monday, August 19

on homeschooling.

So, it's official!
Audrey is homeschooling for the 2013/14 school year.
This is a decision that wasn't made lightly or quickly.
It came with months and months of thought, discussion, pros and cons lists and even a trial homeschooling period this summer.
Now I know that homeschooling can be quite the controversial topic.
Most people will jump to one of two conclusions when you tell them that you're homeschooling,
either you are a religious fundamentalist that wants to keep your child away from opposing world views or you are of the "crunchier" variety who wants to "unschool" your child.
Rest assured that we fall into neither one of those categories.
Audrey's education is super important to us and we feel that at this specific point in time,
she will be more educationally challenged at home.

I said previously that this decision wasn't made lightly, and trust me when I say that.
I've seen homeschooling done the wrong way multiple times and I refuse to do that to my child.
It always makes me sad when parents homeschool their children under the guise of it being in the "best interest" of their child, but instead of actually helping nurture and grow their child's education, they, for all intents and purposes, let their child's education go down the crapper instead.
 And, unfortunately, in the state of Texas it is all too easy for this to be done, but that is a topic for another post.

We have some great curriculum in place and I'm super excited to keep trying out new things and to add to what we already have in place.
So far all of the curriculum we have was recommended in the book The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.
I have read this book several times and plan to continue to use it for reference.
It lays out, step by step, how to give your child a classical education at home.
I will write a post soon about classical education and why we chose to go this route.

I really am very excited for the school year ahead and for this little adventure that we are taking and I will be sure to keep updating our progress here for those that are interested. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak easy. speak loud.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com